Saturday, June 6, 2009

I have horrible vision… is this due to my genetics that my parents have given to me?




An article I was reading has evaluated the relationship between genetics and bad vision. It had said that results of a study taken that the uneducated parents and grandparents that had little or no form of myopia. Myopia is the technical term for nearsightedness. Anyways, nearly 58 % of the children attending school were diagnosedas myopic.

In my own personal experience… I have myopia. My parents dropped out of their freshman year of college. Regardless, I had originally noticed that I had a sight problem when I was in middle school. This was when the stop sign didn’t look like a stop sign from afar or the white board filled with words couldn’t be recognized.

This article states that a genetic malfunction increase of 58% over one generation would be impossible. It was concluded that stress on the eyes when performing continuous work in the classroom was causing myopia among children.

Scientists believe that it is a condition called near-point stress. This simply means that when your eyes experience on focusing on anything too close. Like for example, computers, books, television, and so on. When you focus up too close this is not safe for your eyes. The American Opotomentric Association says that near-point stress as being one of the leading causes of nearsightedness.

I remember my father telling me not to sit too close to the T.V. … However, I suppose I didn’t pay attention. Maybe I should have.


- Cassie Hubbard
Presentation Blog 2

No comments:

Post a Comment